A December to Remember :: Ornaments

The prompt today for A December to Remember is "ornament" . The Disney Sisters asked:

"What decorations are hanging from your tree this year? Do you have any Disney ornaments in your collection? Any special handmade things or heirlooms that have been passed down through your family tree. (Pun intended.) We'd love for you to show us the magic that sparkles on your tree."

I am sharing "ornaments" because I couldn't just pick one. Here are a few of my favourites. Some were given to us, others bought, and some were made by me. I included a little description under each photo. 


I love blue birds. Every time I see a blue bird, I think of the Blue Bird of Happiness. When I was growing up in France, every Christmas I watched this 1940 Shirley Temple movie on TV (check the link if you have never heard of it!). It is one of my favourite holiday movies. This year, I found this sparkly blue bird at Walmart (of all places!) for 99 cents. I had to bring him home! 

This pewter ornament is one of several that my aunt has given us over the years.
Many are nature themed. We all really love these. 

This is one of several vintage ornaments. I wish I could show you all of them.
My mother-in-law just sent these to us. Her father made them at least
forty years ago. She passed them down to us and we hang them
all in our tree last night. So special and beautiful!

I have made several of our ornaments. In this photo, you can see my patchwork tree
and a bit of my embroidered yule ornament. Do you see the sparkly stars?
The stars form a garland and were made by my California friend Tracie. I love these
sparkly stars! They go perfectly in our tree too.

Here is another ornament I made. I have always liked Snoopy.
I used fabric sent by a friend from Florida and made this patchwork ornament last year.

We have had this vintage-looking Mickey & Minnie ornament
since we were married almost 17 years ago!  

Santa's Magic Key! We found this a few years ago when we spent
an early family Christmas with my in-laws in Frankenmuth, Michigan.
We went to Bronner's Christmas Wonderland.
What a place! This key had a little card with it with a poem:
"Dear Santa, we have no chimney
as you can plainly see,
and I was terribly worried
that you'd pass over me.
We hung this very special key
outside right by the door.
Then Mom told me to jump in bed;
not to worry anymore.
Your magic will make this key fit,
to open up our door.
So you can come inside tonight
and tip-toe cross the floor."







Comments

  1. Your collection of ornaments is so special! We love to watch holiday movies too, and have never heard of The Blue Bird of Happiness. Excited to see it- thanks for the link. The hand-made ornament and story that goes with it is our favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the stories of your ornaments and how we can reminiscing as we pull them out. You make me want to decorate.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment