Me...A Homeschool Conference Speaker?


This month's topic for the Canadian Homeschool Blogging Team is "Conference Chats", meaning what would we write about if we were to do a presentation at a conference.





If I had been asked to write about this last year, I am not sure I could have! One year makes a huge difference though, as I was asked to speak at a conference next July! I will be one of the speakers at the Brave Writer "Be Good To You" Retreat in Cincinnati, Ohio. I am so excited and looking forward to this! It will be a new experience for me and since I love Brave Writer, I can't imagine a better opportuntiy! 

I will be conducting a workshop about nature study and journaling. My kids and I have enjoyed studying nature as part of our homeschooling, as well as documenting some of our findings. My two oldest kids and I did a lot of nature study and documenting. Even tough Celeste enjoys being in nature and observing it, she isn't as interested in the documenting part, so more recently I choose to keep my own nature journal, for my own enjoyment. It has been very enjoyable and a habit that I can see I will continue for years to come. I am also not giving on Celeste and hope that my practice might inspire her at some point..

I am just about to start writing my workshop notes. I have been organizing my thoughts for the last couple of months and now I am ready to write my presentation in more details. I plan on including a hands-on experience, with the group going outside in nature, experiencing a little nature study and collecting a small sample to take back to the meeting room. I can't wait to sit with everyone, to journal and draw, maybe even paint a little. 

I like practical things and simple instructions. I also enjoy knowing the why behind things, as well as the benefits of doing them, so I would include my thoughts on these. I will be talking about the importance of spending time in nature, ways to inspire and include children of all ages during nature walks, and some fun ideas for activities. 

Because I love books, I will be sharing a book list of my favourite nature study guides and inspiration-filled books I have come across. There are also several websites and apps worth mentioning. An explanation and demonstration of a few basic items that would be useful to carry along during a nature study walk will certainly be part of it too. 

You can read more about this topic of conference speaking from other members of the Canadian Homeschool Blogging Team at The Canadian Homeschooler. 







Comments

  1. That's awesome Alexandra! How exciting to be a part of that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is fantastic! Yay you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment