Common White Dragonfly ~ A Little Rescue

On my walk to downtown yesterday, I noticed something on the sidewalk as I walked. I looked a little closer and saw it was a dragonfly. It wasn't moving so I bent down a little more. That is when I noticed that it was laying upside down, with its legs up in the air. 

Was it dead? No, the little legs were moving! 

I didn't want to touch its wings for fear of damaging him, so I looked for a small stick and gently moved the stick close to the dragonfly. As I got it close, trying to figure out how I would help it move back right side up, the little legs grabbed on to the stick. It was the sweetest thing to see. 


The dragonfly right side up again!

I didn't want to leave the dragonfly on the sidewalk so I put the thin stick near him again. He grabbed on again! I then gently carried it to the grass area nearby. 

This photo is blurry, but I thought it was so sweet
how  the dragonfly held on to the stick with its legs. 

It was such a joy to help this dragonfly. This was a male, the male Common White dragonfly has clear tips and a brighter body. You can see a female Common White dragonfly that visited our garden on this post. 



Comments

  1. Wonderful, Alex.
    They are such amazing creatures. Happy you happened upon this one to help him out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment