That Time I was a Hair Model



Last weekend, I was a hair model! This was a brand new experience for me and it turned out to be an excellent one. A couple of weeks ago, a friend asked me if I would be interested in being a hair model for a local hair show. The hair stylists were looking for models with natural grey, white, or platinum blond hair. I agreed only because the products they were showcasing were temporary and meant to enhance the natural grey. A hair cut was part of the experience too, but I could let the stylist know my limitations. 

I thought it would be a fun adventure, so I said yes. I am so glad I did. 

Last Saturday, I visited a local salon and met with the visiting hair stylist Jean Sebastien and his assistant Stephanie, both from Quebec and Sharon from Bounce Hair Studio. We talked about how much to cut from my hair length and which Schwarzkopf Professional Silver Whites they were planning on using. About 2-3 inches was cut from my hair and they applied two temporary treatment, Lilac on the top and Slate underneath. Once the cut and treatment were applied, Stephanie dried my hair with a round brush. That was the end of day 1! In the photo mosaic above, the first three small photos on the left side are from the first day. 

Sunday was the day of the hair show. It took place in the beautiful new Florence Simmons Performance Hall at Holland College in Charlottetown. We were to wear all black. Hair was styled, make up was done by professional make up artist Savannah. We then went onstage in front of an audience of hair stylists. 

There were around 15 hair models, with 2 other women in the Silver Whites category. There was a nude colour category with beautiful natural  hair colours, and a fun wild hair colour category with bright pinks, corals, oranges, greens, blues! Jean Sebastien also cut hair from some of the models, live onstage. This was really interesting to watch and listen to him explain his techniques! Each model's hair was shown in more detail with explanation of all the products used, along with before pictures. Walking on stage like a model was different for me but I quickly got comfortable with it. Having that "va-va-voom" hair style and full make up really helped! 

The whole experience was a ton of fun and I really loved how my hair turned out too. I am curious to see how long it will last. I was told several shampoos and that it will fade away gently. My silver hair has always felt pretty soft, probably because of the coconut oil I usually use, but after this treatment it also feels stronger, softer, smoother! 

Comments