Amy Butler's Piece Keeping ~ Book Review


Amy Butler is an amazing designer of fabrics and sewing patterns. I have loved her work for many years. Her latest book "Piece Keeping" is filled with inspiration for home and fashion projects. There are 20 projects in this beautiful book that truly celebrate patchwork with detailed instructions to make. 



I love how the projects are divided, things for the home like the really unique Pyramid Pillows (see them on the cover!) to the colourful In the Moment Quilt, to smaller projects perfect for handmade gifts like the Tribal Cuffs or Treasure Box, to finally beautiful fashion statement pieces like the Embellished Infinity Scarf (see photo below). 



As I looked through this beautiful book, I wanted to make all the projects! Her bright and unique choices of fabric combinations are so inspiring. I can relate to her love of patchwork and felt right at home. 


Tribal Cuff 

I decided to make one of the Tribal Cuffs first. There were about 3 pages of instructions for this particular project, which might feel overwhelming at first, but Amy's attention to details really helps. At the start of each project, the design influences and techniques used are listed. Each step is carefully explained. 

The tribal cuff laid flat. I love the triangles!

This book includes full size patterns in a handy pocket folder. I also very much appreciate the binding style of this book which allows it to lay flat open, which is very helpful when following directions and working on a project! 

The 6th and last chapter of this book does not have projects but it is such an important chapter and I am grateful Amy included it. It is about the importance of keeping your creative fires burning. Her words are so important and there are some great resources listed too. 

Amy Butler's Piece Keeping: 20 Stylish Projects that Celebrate Patchwork can be found at:
Indigo.ca 
Amazon.ca 

You can find Amy Butler online at Amy Butler Design. I personally love her Instagram account! 


Disclosure: I received an advance copy book for review from Raincoast Books. All opinions expressed are completely honest and my own, based on our personal experience. Your experience may differ. 


Comments