Fun Christmas Picture Books and Book Sharing Sunday (late again)

I really should just call that Book Sharing Monday instead of Sunday but...I am sure whoever is reading this will forgive me for being late...right? The kids have enjoyed listening to me reading aloud picture books from the library's Christmas section and I am choosing two to share with you tonight. A little bit of a quick book review/book sharing.
Maybe for the rest of the holiday season, I will just stick to sharing little bits of Christmas or Winter related books? What do you think? Drop me a comment! I really love receiving those...(hint, hint, lol)

Here are two that were particularly fun for us today. Even if my two oldest are getting older, and are really past the age sometimes of the picture books, they still love listening to them. As long as the story is more than just a few words per page!
Unless I have found a review or been told of a book in particular, I usually choose picture books by their cover or their title. The illustrations can be a reason for me to bring a book home, or it could be that I just know the story will be of interest to the kids, or at least one of my kids. Sometimes I just feel like it might be a fun one to read (like so many Dr. Seuss ones).



First up is "Auntie Claus" written and illustrated by Elise Primavera. I first picked this one off the shelf because of the illustrations. I knew that Fairy would enjoy looking through these. I only realized when I was putting this post together that we already read "The Secret Order of the Gumm Street Girls" by the same author. Fairy, Dragon and Princess all enjoyed this story, with the little bits of Christmas magic, the spoiled little brother, and the B-B-and-G List...
Here was one of their favourite parts:

"As Sophie made her way toward the coal mines, she could hear the chanting of the B-B-and-G elves:
Spoiled brats and crybabies, whine babies, and all the ones who don't believe: Here's some coal and here's some gunk - fill a stocking that smells like skunk!"

There is a quiz for kids to take on Auntie Claus' website to see if they are on the B-B-and-G list! Here is the link : Bad Boys and Girls List.


The second book is called "The Legend of Papa Noel - A Cajun Christmas Story" written by Terri Hoover Dunham and illustrated by Laura Knorr. This is one that I chose because of the title and because there were alligators on the cover, and it just sounded like a fun story. I ended up having so much fun reading it aloud...even Fairy pointed it out to me in the middle of the story, saying "Mom, you are just loving this one, aren't you?". She was right! It was fun mixing all the french words in the story, and the Cajun way of saying things, and you couldn't help but smile at the fact that Papa Noel had alligators (with French names) instead of reindeer and went up the Mississippi River to deliver gifts!

Here was one of my favourite parts (the kids did like it too, by the way!):

"Then quicker than a snake shimmies down the river, they got themselves to the first Cajun house. And Papa Noel and his gators could see that the Reveillion feast was through 'cause them lanterns had done been snuffed out. So, they started delivering all them toys to the good little Cajun boys and girls."

Comments

  1. Hi Alex,
    Thank you for your lovely comments about my book, The Legend of Papa Noel. I'm glad you and your beautiful children enjoyed reading it. And thanks for being a parent who instills reading in her children and also in others. Why don't you and the little ones log onto my website, www.terrisbooks.com. You will find info about the book, be introduced to my family and find links to other author and illustrators. You children will likely enjoy the links to facts about alligators.
    Have a wonderful Christmas season!
    Terri Hoover Dunham

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Terri for taking the time to leave a comment! The kids and I will go and visit your site very soon. Thank you for writing such a fun book and have a wonderful Christmas too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment