September 13 is Roald Dahl Day!

We really enjoy reading his stories. Adrienne and I read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory during our first year of homeschooling, and we did a study on it as well. I remembered reading it as a child and enjoyed discovering it again with her.
Lately, we have picked up a few more of his titles at the library. We listened to The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar on cd during our last road trip. Andre also has been picking up a few titles and reading them on his own.
I found out by going to Roald Dahl website that September 13 is Roald Dahl Day, and there is a whole website for it, full of free activities to download, printables, etc... Many of these seem to apply more to a classroom, but could be adapted for homeschoolers.
Another discovery, from the website, was the release of the movie version of Fantastic Mr. Fox. Andre was really curious since he had just finished that book!


We will be away on September 13, on vacation, but I am planning on doing some of these activities and reading aloud on September 2, next week. I will try to post about it, and maybe you could share your stories if you do a Roald Dahl Day as well by leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. My kids loved The Witches... especially when I did the voice of the Grand High V'itch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading 'Matilda' in 4th grade started my love of reading. I went on to read almost everything he wrote. He is probably my all-time favorite author. Thanks for the post, that trailer looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, we love Roald Dahl. My children still chortle about one of his books, just out of the blue. Have you been to his writing studio (virtually, I mean): http://www.roalddahlmuseum.org/discoverdahl/exploring/default.aspx

    It's a delight! So is your blog. Happy to find more homeschooling book lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mitchy is reading his first Ronald Dahl book 'The Enormous Crocodile" and his teacher has been reading them 'The Twits'. I must tell his teacher about Sept 13. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment