52 books :: book 42 :: Simplicity Parenting


Simplicity Parenting: Using the Extraordinary Power of Less to Raise Calmer, Happier, and More Secure Kids by Kim John Payne was just perfect. I do not like parenting books, but decided to give this one a try anyway because it was related to the simple life. I have now read several books on simple living. All pretty much say the same thing, but this one was a little different because it related to parenting as well and the benefits a simple life can have on your family.

I really enjoyed this book. I took many notes, as you can see on the photo above. I think I have over 10 pages of notes from this book. I keep this notebook for when I read non-fiction books and want to write down some ideas or favourite quotes.

Simplicity Parenting is divided in six chapters only, but each chapter is huge! Some of the topics the author covers are the environment and all that is in it (toys, books, clothes, media, lightning, etc..), routine, food, schedules, and even talking! 

Here is one of my favourite quote from the first chapter:

"By reducing mental and physical clutter, simplification increases a family's ability to flow together, to focus and deepen their attention, to realign their lives and dreams."

At the end of each chapter, the author has a list of "imagine..." which include points from the chapter to make you think...for example at the end of the soul fever chapter, one of the points in the imagine list was "Imagine how secure your child will feel knowing that they are deeply known and instinctivery cared for".

Each chapter is filled with information, points to think about and practical advice. There is a lot to think about in this book! Like I mentioned earlier, I don't like parenting books but with this one, I have taken a lot of information relevant to the simple life, and left the ideas that I didn't think were necessary for my family. I would recommend this book to other parents looking to simplifying their lives.


Books read: 42/52
Next book: I have 3 books to choose from: Theodore Boone by John Grisham, The Pelee Project: One Woman's Escape from Urban Madness by Jane Christmas, and Escaping the Endless Adolescence by Joseph Allen.

Comments

  1. Alex, we at simplicityparenting.com love this photo you took of the book and your notes. Do we have permission to use it on our website for our new web page about encouraging book study groups?

    Warmly, Raelee Peirce
    Simplicity Parenting Outreach Coordinator

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment