Feeding my family :: homemade brown sugar



Look at that beautiful brown sugar! I have been wanting to make our own homemade brown sugar for a few weeks now and finally tried this morning. This turned out to me more of a golden sugar, but it is so delicious! The texture is perfect and it tastes fresh, so much more fresh than the brown sugar in the bags available in stores. 



Homemade brown sugar is very simple to make. You need molasses and white sugar. I used my KitchenAid mixer with the whisk attachment. You could do this by hand, but it would take longer.



Even with the mixer, it took a few minutes to get the right consistency and get the molasses mixed well with the sugar.


Still need a bit more...


Now it looks like brown sugar!


The final product! I got my family to taste test this with a little spoon and everyone agreed it was delicious! We use brown sugar when we bake and so often run out of it. We won't anymore and I am sure this will make our baked goods even more tasty.

Homemade Brown Sugar:
1 cup white sugar + 1 to 2 tablespoons of molasses (depending on how strong you want it to be).

I found several recipes online for brown sugar, all were the same. I particularly liked Bakergirl's post about this: How to Make Homemade Brown Sugar.

Comments