Poetry Tea Time :: Polka-Bats & Octopus Slacks


We had another lovely Poetry Tea Time on Tuesday this week. We are trying to keep a regular day for it, but we do enjoy reading aloud and having tea more than just one day a week!

I had found a fun looking poetry book at the thrift store a few weeks ago. The art and the poems appealed to Celeste right away and she asked for more non sense poetry. I put a few titles on hold at our local library. I will share our favourites with you when we get them. If you have non sense poetry books you would recommend, please leave me a comment!


Polka-bats and Octopus Slacks is a collection of 14 stories by Calef Brown. Celeste's favourite was The Lonely Surfer:

"In a dry and dusty desert town
the lonely surfer hangs around. 
Perched upon a prickly pear, 
he usually wears a worried frown. 

People ask the surfer dude, 
"Why so far from the ocean blue?"
"Because I'm so afraid of sharks,"
he says, "and water too!"



We had Cocomint Cream tea with homemade pop tarts Celeste and I made that morning. They turned out tasty and she loved baking them! I found the recipe Frosted Strawberry Pop Tarts on Chow. I used raspberry jam instead of strawberry. We didn't add the glaze mentioned in the original recipe. I might add half of it next time. They weren't very sweet, a bit salty actually but that might have been from Celeste's measuring...



If you would like to know more about Poetry Tea Time, you can read all about this wonderful idea at Brave Writer here

Note: This review is based on my family's personal experience. We did not receive any incentive or any compensation for sharing my opinions. Read my full disclosure policy for more information.

Comments

  1. That's such a cute idea! My children are still quite young (3 and 1) but they might enjoy poetry tea time with some fun nursery rhymes and seasonal poems. Thanks for this lovely idea! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment