Make & Listen Along :: Number Twenty

Just a little bit of "making" since last Thursday since we started our homeschool year this week...

My friend gifted me a 5lb zucchini. I started by making a chocolate zucchini bread. I shared the recipe in this post. I also chopped some in small pieces of zucchini to freeze. I still have some and will be making an orange zucchini cake next, and likely freeze the remainder. 




I started making vanilla extract. My friend told me about this and since we use vanilla extract a lot and I always prefer homemade, I had to try it! I followed these directions. 

It is very simple, I cut the vanilla beans in half and sliced them open, but not cut all the way. I then placed them in a jar with 1 cup of vodka. This will be a slow process, but I think it will be worth it. I only had two beans, but will add two more for more flavour. 




I worked a little bit on my summer sampler from The Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery. 



The listening is often the same, the sounds of home...kids talking, playing, video games, giggles, frustration from the boy, and while working on the summer sampler, the teen girl and I watched stayed up late and watched Salt and also Hanna.


I am linking to the weekly Make & Listen Along hosted by Dawn at the Simple Things Notebook. 

Comments

  1. Lots of great making for the first week of school!
    Interested to see how the extract turns out. I got some brandy to make a brandy version. Need to get those beans in there are start the process!
    Thanks for sharing again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemade vanilla is great, and they say the beans can be reused (add more vodka when it gets low). I made some in January, and it's wonderful. Much better than the tiny $8 bottles at the store!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment