Vegetarian Pizza Pockets & Sore Throat Remedy

Time for my weekly make & listen post! I didn't get a chance to work on my sewing projects this past week, but hoping to this coming weekend. 

I did play a little in the kitchen, so I will share that with you! 

I found a fun little kitchen tool at Target last week. It is a pocket pie press from Nordic Ware, just like this one. I thought it would be fun to work with. 

I made apple turnovers, but didn't take a photo. They disappeared fast! Still, I found out that the little tool worked great and I was wanting to use it again. 

I thought a homemade pizza pocket would be a hit with my pizza loving kids and husband. I made a vegetarian batch and a few with meat. 

I first cooked the vegetable filling. I used what I had on hand: mushrooms, green peppers, and onions. I sauteed them in olive oil for several minutes, then added about two tablespoons of tomato paste and some dry basil and oregano. I simmered the filling for a few more minutes. 

I had bought pizza dough at our local bakery, it is very good but next time I want to try making my own dough. 



I used this recipe for a guideline on cooking the pizza pockets. 

After rolling the pizza dough, I used the pocket pie press to cut circles. The sauce went first, about a tablespoon of regular pasta sauce in each pocket. 

I then added a small scoop of the vegetable filling. 

I shredded "old cheddar" cheese (what was available in my fridge!) and used a small hand full, and also added cut up meatless pepperoni. 

The tool helped close the pocket and keep everything inside. 

I brushed some egg wash on top of each pocket and poked a hole to let steam out while cooking. 

Some pockets had a bit of spilling while cooking, but most were perfect when they came out of the oven. 


And they were delicious!!! I know I will be making more. They could easily be frozen too for a quick lunch to bring to work for my husband. 


I had made a few with just turkey pepperoni and cheese for my son who doesn't like mushrooms. He loved the simple version. 

The only other making that happened in the kitchen, besides the usual meals, was a sore throat remedy for myself. I woke up Tuesday morning with a throat that hurt like it was on fire. I remembered a remedy I had seen online, searched and tried it. I was pleasantly surprised how much it did help. I took it first thing that morning. By lunch time, my throat was much better. I made and drank more yesterday and today too, even though my throat isn't as bad. 

Here is the recipe :

In hot water, mix 2 tablespoons of honey, 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, and a dash of cinnamon. Mix it well and drink. 


We've heard more Christmas music playing but I don't bring out our collection until December 1st. We will decorate then too. For listening, we continue to enjoy listening to the classical selections on CBC Radio 2 in the morning. 

I am linking to Dawn's Simple Things Notebook for this weekly post. 

Comments

  1. Those pockets look yummy. Having some of those stocked in the freezer sounds great.
    I love remedies like that. We use quite a few. This one adds the cider vinegar to one of our usual concoction.
    Thanks for sharing and joining in again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a fun tool. The pizza pockets look delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment