Getting ready for 2014

The New Year is almost here! 

I have been getting myself ready with a new calendar for our fridge, which is where I keep track of important details like bills and appointments. I do like to have my own calendar as well, more like a journal. I have missed having one last year. 

I saw on instagram the Documented Life Project and looked into it further. I like the idea and I am jumping in, keeping in mind that I will do a simple version. I don't want to feel like I have to buy craft supplies or tools. I like the community I have found on instagram and facebook for this project. Lots of inspiration there. I have always enjoyed doodling and journaling. I have a collection of inspiring photos on Pinterest. See the bottom of the post for a link to it. 

If you are interested in the Documented Life Project, here is more info:

"Starting January 1, 2014, we* will issue a weekly challenge on ways to use and decorate your planner to make it uniquely yours.  Interpret the challenge in any way you desire or be inspired by our artists.  Yes, this is free and open to everyone - artists, scrapbookers, calendar keepers, organization lovers, art journalers- yes, YOU! You can find the first challenge on any of the blogs listed below or on the Facebook page listed."

The we* is a list of bloggers, so please visit the Documented Life Project for all the details. 

"before" photos of my 2014 journal
I started yesterday playing with an agenda my friend Rachel had sent me from France. It is set up like a school planner, from August to August but I will use it for the 2014 year, going back to the beginning for the last few months. I don't mind this set up and find it makes it unique. The planner came with two beautiful covers and I will use those instead of crafting a new one. 

I put together small month tabs with scrapbook paper I had. I taped them on the edges of the journal. 



I also started having a little bit of fun inside the journal. 




Someone on the facebook group shared a great quote from Neil Gaiman, one of his New Year Wish. I had to include it in my journal. I used my kids' crayola markers for both the 2014 page and the background of the quote page. It gave me a chance to sort through all the blues and discard the dry markers! 


I love maps so I added one of our island home from an old road map book and a small flag I found in a magazine.


I can't wait to find out about the first challenge. I really hope I can keep up with the challenges without having special tools and crafty supplies! 



Image from Susannah Conway 

Another way I like to get ready for the new year is by using the Unraveling the Year Ahead workbook by Susannah Conway. I used it last year and it helped put things into focus and get myself ready for the new year. 

I don't make new year resolutions but I do choose a word to focus on and give myself challenges. I will share my word for 2014 in a few days, I am still working on it. 2013's word was love. In 2012, I had chosen adventure. It seems that the word I choose to focus on is also a word that "tests" me during that year, so I try to choose very carefully! 

As I mentioned at the start of my post, here is my Pinterest Journal Inspiration board:

Follow Alex Dk's board Journal Inspiration on Pinterest.

Comments

  1. Those look like great preparations for the year ahead.
    I have been keeping track of appointments and whatnot on the iPad calendar but I do miss a physical calendar book. Yours looks great so far!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment