More Making in the Kitchen + Homemade Mayo Recipe

I had more fun in the kitchen over the last week. I have been trying a few more recipes from the Oh She Glows


We have made the classic glo bar twice now and they are now Celeste's favourite cereal bar. I really like them too, and so does my husband. A winner with three family members is pretty good! 


They are the perfect texture and very tasty too. I think these will become a regular making in our house, especially to take along this summer to the beach. 


I have also made the ultimate nutty granola clusters twice because they are so good. I eat them for breakfast with almond milk, and sometimes dry as a quick snack. 



For dinner, I tried another recipe with my family from the cookbook. The immunity-boosting tomato sauce with mushrooms was very well received. This tomato sauce has lots of mushrooms which most of us love. Fresh basil, garlic, tomatoes, and several herbs give great flavour. The addition of chia seeds and cooked lentils helped with the texture, making it almost like a traditional meat sauce texture. 



Every week, we have been picking up local fresh farm eggs from The Olde Mackenzie Farm. They are super delicious and we love them. 

We wanted to make egg salad but had no mayonnaise left, so I decided it was time to make our own mayo. I remember my grandfather Andre making mayonnaise and have always wanted to try making some too. It was time to try! 

The chives in our garden have started growing already, so I cut a few for our egg salad. 


The mayonnaise turned out perfect and so delicious in the egg salad. I used my mini food prep from Cuisinart and found the recipe in the booklet that came with the machine. Super simple to make and quick too! 



Here is the recipe I used, from the Cuisinart Mini-Prep Chopper/Grinder recipe booklet: 

Classic Mayonnaise

2 large egg yolks
1/8 teaspoon salt 
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper (I used black pepper)
1 teaspoon mustard, Dijon style 
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2/3 cup vegetable oil 

Insert blade using BLUNT edge. Add all ingredients except oil to prep bowl. Mix at HI speed to blend, about 15 seconds. 
With chopper/grinder running at HI speed, add oil to one (only 1, very important!) of the recessed areas in the cover so that oil flows through feed hole in a slow, steady stream. The mayonnaise will thicken as the oil is added. This takes about 2 minutes. Makes 1 cup. 




Another fun week of making! I will be trying a few more recipes from the Oh She Glows cookbook over the next week. If you want to see what else I have tried from that cookbook, check this post: making in the kitchen with oh she glows cookbook. 

I will be making more in the kitchen over the next month since I signed up for the beauty that moves 30 day vegan workshop. I can't wait to learn new recipes and play some more with food! 

I will be linking this making post to the weekly make & listen hosted by Dawn at Simple Things Notebook. 

Comments

  1. Mmmmm post the recipes you try!! Sounds yummy! Ron and I were talking and in 2 yrs we are going to make out trip out east. We are going to BC this July for his sisters wedding so in 2 years we go in the opposite direction! Just wanted to let you know! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment