Weekly Homeschool Report + Friday Link ♥

Wow, it has been forever since I have written a weekly wrap up post! The last that I found in my blog archives was from almost two years ago. I think it is time to write these again. I used to write many of these, I found 59 under one label "wrap up", in my old blog and this one. 

The weekly report: 

This past week, we have been in full NaNoWriMo mode, so of course this morning I need a distraction from all that writing...with another type of writing! I enjoy blogging and documenting what we have done.  



Celeste has been a late bloomer when it comes to writing, and so I am SUPER impressed with her commitment to this writing challenge. She set her word goal for her novel at 1,500 words, which she thought was a huge amount before she started. Young writers can set their goal to whatever amount they want. The default on the website is 30,000 but can be edited! 

Monday morning, she announced that she wanted to write. She ended up writing for a total of four hours. The first "shift" was from 8:30 to 11:30, with a few very short  breaks. She wrote almost 700 words that day. She was so happy and told me repeatedly how much she loved writing. Sweetest words! 

We have been enjoying the Elemental Science curriculum. We ended up switching to it after trying to use the level one of the R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey after finding that the level 2 was too advanced. Level 1 was too simple. 

The beauty of homeschooling is the ability to switch things as needed. I searched for alternatives and found two. I showed both to Celeste and she chose the Elemental Science, the Earth Science & Astronomy for the Logic Stage



This week, we studied the Universe and the Big Bang. Celeste learned how to write an outline with my help, recorded important dates on her new timeline, worked on memorizing the different types of stars and their characteristics, and did an experiment with a chocolate bar, which failed but that is ok! We learn from failures too! 

In history, we are studying the Anglo-Saxons. Not a whole lot of extra reading this week for history. Celeste's focus was very much on her novel for NaNoWriMo! 




We enjoyed our weekly poetry tea time with a very simple snack, popcorn! We had made lemon balm iced tea with leaves from our garden, so delicious... The poetry was lovely and we came across two poems by Emily Dickinson, one of my favourite poets. 




I organized a field trip to PetSmart for our local homeschool group. We will have four of these this month! The first one was this week and all about guinea pigs. We had over 30 people attend, it was busy but so fun! Celeste and I both loved seeing all the cute guinea pigs. We miss ours! 




We had a library morning this week as well, along with some time wandering downtown and a little picnic inside the Confederation Court Mall since it was another rainy grey day! 

Today is a PD Day in PEI, my teens are home relaxing. I attended their parent-teacher interviews last night and received amazing feedback for both of them! 

So it has been a pretty light week "schoolwork" wise, but a full one anyway between all the writing we have done and the "extras" such as field trips!

Celeste and I are going on another field trip this afternoon, I will tell you more next week!

Here are a few favourite links from this week:

♥ For NaNoWriMo help, the twitter account NaNoWordSprints has been a great inspiration and motivation. They put on some timed challenges and sometimes have optional prompts. I have already used two of those prompts and a few of the timed challenges. 

♥ Minions Official Trailer! We love minions. That is all. Check it out here. 

♥ This ad from a UK store chain is the cutest I have seen in a long time:





That is all for this week, have a great weekend!

Comments