My 2015 Reading Challenge

I love reading books! This year, for the fifth year in a row, I am challenging myself to read 52 books with the Goodreads Challenge. I am also participating in Modern Mrs. Darcy's 2015 Reading Challenge. 

I often read books I find at the Prince Edward Island Public Library. Once a month I attend the book club there, which always introduces me to books I normally would not choose for myself. 



This year, I wanted to start with a list of to-read books. I started by looking at our own bookshelves, and found several! 

Some of these "qualify" for Modern Mrs. Darcy's list. Here is her 2015 Reading Challenge list



Here is my to-read list from our bookshelves, as seen in the top photo:

* Vegan's Daily Companion by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau (this is a book I read an entry each day of the year. I have had it for a few years but never read it entirely yet)

* The Nature Notes of an Edwardian Lady by Edith Holden (another book that is wonderful to read throughout the year, and again one I haven't completely read yet!)

* To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (for the challenge: a book "everyone" has read but you)

* Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson 

* Wereduck by Dave Atkinson (for the challenge: a book I've been meaning to read because Celeste highly recommends it)

* The Pinhoe Egg by Diana Wynne Jones 

* The Tiger in the Well by Philip Pullman (third book in the Sally Lockhart series)

* The Tin Princess by Philip Pullman (fourth book in Sally Lockhart series)

* Under Wildwood by Colin Meloy (for the challenge: a book I chose because of the cover, and I read the first one)

* A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens 

* Great Expectations by Charles Dickens 

* The Story of Science: Newton at the Centre by Joy Hakim (I read the first book in this series and found it fascinating, so on to the second!)


And now, a quick look back on my favourite reads from 2014. I had challenged myself to read 52 books and ended up reading 62





My top favourites, for myself, from the 2014 reading challenge




The second and third book in the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness, Shadow of Night and The Book of Life were my top favourites. I love how she blends stories of witches, vampires, and time travel. 





Another series I enjoyed was The Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo. Shadow and Bone is the debut novel for Leigh Bardugo and I was hooked by the Russian and Slavic myths flair. 




Cress is the third novel in the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. Each novel in this series has been great. Cress did not disappoint! I can't wait for Fairest. I also really enjoyed reading Marissa's short stories on Wattpad.  


Did you give yourself a reading challenge this year? I would love to know your to-read book list! Leave me a comment. Happy reading! 




Comments

  1. Oooo! Lots of good picks there. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on these :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alex,

    I will also be doing the the reading challenge this year. Here is my list:

    Books that I own or that have already been put on hold at the library
    - Still Life by Louise penny
    - Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
    - Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling)
    - Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
    - Graceling by Kristin Cashore
    - The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

    Books that are in my e-reader and that I intend to get to this year (they have been there for a while):
    - Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
    - Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
    - A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
    - Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
    - Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment