How to Be a Wildflower: A Field Guide by Katie Daisy ~ Book Review



How to be a Wildflower: a Field Guide is written by and illustrated by Katie Daisy with her magical nature-inspired art. 

The guide is divided into four sections. 




In Wander, Katie Daisy invites us to explore the nature all around us. You will find practical lists throughout, as an example "packing a lunch" or "adventure things" or even a "camping checklist". Many places to visit in the United States are mentioned. 




In Gather, Katie inspires us to collect nature things and also to purely enjoy looking at nature. Making a wildflower crown is something I can't wait to do, once spring finally arrives here! Like a regular field guide, there are several useful pages on mushrooms, wildflowers, moths, edible plants, and more. 

The Savor section of the book is filled with ideas for experiences, invitations to truly savor nature and what she has to offer, from "night swimming" to "eating berries straight from the vine". Recipes are included and beg to be tried, like "how to make a strawberry pie from scratch" or the "lavender simple syrup". Both strawberries and lavender grow in my garden, so I am inspired to try these! 

In the last part of the book Ponder, you will find more inspiration to slow down and enjoy the healing power of nature. Questions to think about, to truly ponder are found throughout with directions, for example "how to be still". It might seem simple, but not a task that is easy for many of us. 

I have enjoyed reading and re-reading this book so much! I know it will tag along on hikes and camping trip. I can't wait to add flowers to dry in it. It is a guide, in my opinion even more important than a traditional one, in the sense that it invites the reader to explore nature instead of only helping with identification information. It is truly an inspiring guide. 



How to be a Wildflower: a Field Guide by Katie Daisy can be found at : 
Amazon.ca
Indigo.ca 

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book for review from Raincoast Books. All opinions expressed are completely honest and my own, based on our personal experience. Your experience may differ. 

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for the kind review!! I'm so glad you like my book :) I hope it serves you well on many adventures for years to come.

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment