Camp NaNoWriMo ~ July 2016







Next month, in July, I am going to camp...camp NaNoWriMo that is! It's kind of like NaNoWriMo but a little different. 

The regular NaNoWriMo, which stands for National Novel Writing Month, happens in November every year and is a challenge to write 50,000 words in 30 days. It's a free event and one that you can do from the comfort of your own home or favourite cafe or library. 

I have participated in NaNoWriMo  4 years. I did this in 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2014. Adrienne, Andre, and Celeste also participated in this challenge every year I participated. I won in 2008 and 2010. Adrienne and Andre both completed their challenges in 2010. Kids are able to set their own word goals. As an adult, you win NaNoWriMo by completing your novel of 50,000 words or more in the 30 days of November.  

Back to next month's camp! I decided to participate because the camp is a little different than the November challenge. 


"Camp NaNoWriMo is a virtual writer’s retreat, designed for maximum flexibility and creativity. We have Camp sessions in both April and July, and we welcome word-count goals between 30 and 1,000,000. In addition, writers can tackle any project they’d like, including new novel drafts, revision, poetry, scripts, and short stories."


Since I am able to choose to work on an existing project, I have decided to work on editing and revising my 2008 novel "Annabella's Quest". Here is the short synopsis I had written about this novel:

Young witch apprentice Annabella tries to find out who her family is by searching through the kingdom, helped by her childhood friend Bellamy. They will go through obstacles and challenges on their quest. Will they discover the truth about Annabella's family and where she comes from, or will they discover more? 

It will be fun and interesting, I think, to dive in to that YA fantasy world I had imagined eight years ago! 

If you are interested in Camp NaNoWrimo, here are some helpful links: 

- camp information  
writing resources 

If July doesn't work for you, but you still want to explore writing more, check out the NaNoWriMo Map of the Year! 




Comments