The Happy Cookbook ~ Book Review




The Happy Cookbook: 130 Wholefood Recipes for Health, Wellness, and a Little Extra Sparkle is written by Lola Berry. This cookbook includes many recipes that are sugar-free, gluten-free, and Paleo. Lola Berry is an Australia nutritionist who is passionate about good food and health. She has written several cookbooks. 






I am the type of person who loves to actually read through cookbooks. I love when the author includes information and stories about food and themselves as well as recipes. Lola Berry has written that type of cookbook, for example the Essential Ingredients section not only explain what each ingredient is but Lola shares what she likes about them and how she uses them. Her Food Cravings page is brilliant, as she explains what nutrients you might be lacking if you are craving sweets, fatty foods, carbs, chocolate or salty foods. I agree with Lola Berry completely that exercise and mental health are important when striving for a healthy happy life, as well as good food. She writes about these topics as well, from yoga to relationships, and more.



Salads and Veggies Teaser pages!

Whenever I review a cookbook, I select a few recipes to test. I had so many I wanted to try in this book! See all my little stickies marking so many recipes in the photo below?!!


Breakfast Knock-Up 

First I made the Breakfast Knock-Up with Fried Brussels Sprouts, Kale, and Eggs. I couldn't remember the last time I ate Brussels sprouts, but I thought I would give them a try again since they are so good for the liver and the skin too. This breakfast was delicious and kept me fueled for the morning. 


Crunchy Paleo Granola 

I made the Crunchy Paleo Granola for my husband. He loves macadamia nuts and coconut. He loved this as soon as it came out of the oven. He told me he would happily eat it as a snack. He also had it for breakfast with milk. It was delicious with yogurt and blueberries too! 



Healthy Raw "Nutella" Spread (on my favourite Silver Hills Sprouted bread)

Another tested and thoroughly enjoyed was the Healthy Raw "Nutella" Spread. I have been spreading this on top of my morning toast. It is amazing, and I used to love Nutella...

The three recipes I tried so far are from the Rise and Shine and from the Loaves and Spreads chapters. 

This is a cookbook I honestly can't wait to try many more recipes from. There are recipes for dinner like Pulled Pork Tacos with Cheat's Sauerkraut and Apple Saute that I know would please my "carnivore" husband and children...and for me, as a vegetarian, there are many choices too, like the Sweet Potato and Quinoa Patties with Green Tahini and Lime Dressing. The Festive Menus chapter is also very helpful, giving healthy options for major holidays like Christmas, Easter, or for special occasions like a romantic dinner for two or a picnic lunch with friends! The recipes might sound a little complicated, but the directions are well laid out and clear to follow. 

I also love the overall happy look of this cookbook! The photos are beautiful, vibrant and fresh. It's a pleasure to look through and choose a recipe to make!

The Happy Cookbook: 130 Wholefood Recipes for Health, Wellness, and a Little Extra Sparkly can be found at:
Indigo.ca 
Amazon.ca 


Disclosure: I received an advance copy book for review from Raincoast Books. All opinions expressed are completely honest and my own, based on our personal experience. Your experience may differ. 









Comments